Wednesday, October 15, 2008

While I'm slowly starting to get a accustomed to the culture, some things still surprise me. The other day it was raining and having left my umbrella at the hotel I ran to the bus stop shed. When I got there, there was already a woman standing there and I placed myself at what I would describe as an appropriate distance by my culture's standard. That is, a bit towards the other side of the shed.

I stood there in my own work-related thoughts for probably about five minutes before realizing that we weren't alone anymore. Behind me in a perfect line about ten more people had arrived at the shed. Not only were they in a perfect line, but the line actually extended far outside the shed into the rain. This despite the fact that there was a huge gap in the queue between me and the first lady who appeared and despite the fact that there probably was more than enough room for everyone under the shed. Upon realizing this I of course took a huge step towards the first lady saving probably five more people from the rain. But the rest were doomed, by culture, to the get wet.

1 comment:

erk said...

Dumbstruck...